Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Devotions

Sweet Georgia Anne is already 2 weeks old! I am starting to adjust to the “new Mamma routine” which, as you all know, includes less sleep. Chris has been kind to take her in the morning around 6, so I have been “making up” for my missed sleep in the morning. It’s amazing what one solid hour of sleep can do for a tired Mamma! But this presents a new problem! The thing a new Mamma needs most desperately is the Lord! (Don’t we all!?!) Crazy post-partum hormones combined with little sleep and maintaining a “normal life” is taxing! I find my days full to the brim- and my “catch up sleep” squeezes out the precious time I used to spend in the Word early in the morning.

And yet I am so thankful for new and challenging seasons of life. They enable me to see a new aspect of God as I lean heavily on Him. His grace and tender love have become evident to me through these past few weeks.

Although I have not had my structured quiet times, I have never felt that God was far away. (That’s His sustaining grace!) He has spoken through messages I’ve listened to online and on CD and through worship and scripture memory songs we sing as a family. I’m seeing again that it is not what I am doing, it’s what He has done that allows our relationship to deepen both in the seasons of long and rich quiet times and in these weeks where I’m sustained by moments of whispered prayer! I’m jealous for the future when I, like Inez said last week, can see how “the bursting emotions of first love develop into the rich virtue of devotion.” And I’m so thankful for the varied seasons He has tailor-made for each of us to cultivate a deeper love for & dependence on Him! ~ Allie Olsen

1 comment:

Colleen Moore said...

Allie,

Thanks for the reminder that His grace IS sufficient, and it's just a whispered prayer away! I needed that reminder today...