Friday, October 17, 2008

Frugal Fridays

I am all about being frugal. I am not so much about being a trendy, save-the-planet green gal. Nonetheless, I enjoyed a variety of new ideas listed in a recent Traditional Home "What Can You Do" article. My favorite was by architect David Bergman. "…perhaps the most significant thing we can do is make our consumption choices wisely. A rule we use is that we must need something three times before we decide to buy it. And it also keeps our closets from overflowing quite as much!"

That goes back to the first Frugal Fridays blog I did, "Stop, Think & Pray." If your family never makes homemade or DiGiorno Pizza, only orders from the local pizza parlor where pizza comes to you already sliced, do you really need that pizza wheel that's only seventy-five cents? Being frugal is about stewardship. So wasting seventy-five cents is still being wasteful! And it clutters up your kitchen drawers!

As a family we first consider how we are spending our money, not how much money we are spending. Perhaps we should ask, "Why do I want to buy this?" Asking ourselves questions can help us determine whether we really need it or not (unless it's pertaining to chocolate- *grin*), it is probably not a necessary purchase. We can all be good stewards while even having fun trying to turn saved pennies into saved dollars (did someone say more chocolate!).
Pro 21:20 Precious treasure and oil are in a wise man's dwelling, but a foolish man devours it
~ Allie Olsen

No comments: