Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Devotions

During the 1950s a popular love song by Phil Spector hit the airwaves with the lyrics, “To know, know, know you, is to love, love, love you . . .” A bit repetitive but I imagine the author repeated words in order to fill in the melody. Then again, he might have been on to something about the nature of love. The more I know you, the more I value and desire you.

In King David’s song, Psalm 103, he blesses the Lord who “made known his ways unto Moses and his acts unto the children of Israel.” The Israelites experienced the blessing and benefits of God’s miracles but Moses, whom God tucked into the cleft of a cliff, had more than miracles to behold – he also knew the ways of the Lord.

A speaker I once heard at a prayer seminar pointed out that the translation for the Hebrew word “know” implied an intimacy such as that between husband and wife. The Israelites knew what God could do, but Moses knew Him. Sounds like relationship, doesn’t it? I know what President Bush can do but I sure don’t know him personally! Yet the old murderer Moses spoke to God face to face and knew that he had found grace.

Devotions - the seeking of God’s face and truth repeatedly – develop devotion. In my times of personal communion with the Lord I do not experience miraculous acts but I do continually listen to the still small voice of the Lord and experience His wisdom, counsel, comfort, instruction, peace, and love…. After years of setting apart time, in my blue rocking chair, I have seen the bursting emotions of first love develop into the rich virtue of devotion. As with any relationship of depth, this kind of knowing has taken time. As you set time aside too, beloved sisters, I believe that you will find what I have found - that the more you know Him, the more you will “love, love, love” Him. ~ Inez Holger

2 comments:

Colleen Moore said...

What a great picture! To sit with Him and to be intimate with Him...I even have a blue rocker of my own! =D

Inez, thank you for taking time to encourage us to connect to our life support!

Anonymous said...

I love your writing! It's salve to my soul. Thank you. Stacey