Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Devotions

Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Our family recently got back from a trip to Washington, DC. It was the first time I had ever been in our nation’s capital, and it was an awesome experience. As I was looking at everything for the first time I couldn’t help to wonder what it was like hundreds of years ago. What might it had looked like during the fight for our independence? How many lives were lost for the fight for my freedom? I had so many thoughts going through my mind and was overwhelmed more than once with emotion.

I realized through it all how I take things for granted. I wonder if the people who work or live in and around Washington, DC ever get tired of seeing these great monuments. I wonder if after a while it’s like just another magnet on the fridge – you get so used to seeing it there and it blends in with everything else.

Our lives can become like that too. We get so used to doing things our way and we start our day and don’t take time to thank God for his many blessings. Life just starts to “blend in” and we get sidetracked and take things and people for granted.

I would encourage you today to take some time and thank God for his many blessings. Join me in asking Him to show you if there is anything in your life that you take for granted. ~ Sharlyn Eddy

No comments: