I never thought that writing a small entry about “being busy in the home” would stump me like this one has. When I had young children and so much to do I longed for down time and the promised leisure that would come when they would one day leave home. As they moved on into college and beyond, I found myself longing for something to do. Not “busy” work, but not a lack of work either.What kind of work am I asking for? After mulling this over I realize three things. One, after many years of various afflictions which slowed me down or laid me up, I am so grateful for busy fruitful days. I thank God for the health and grace to sustain me that I might bear fruit or bring beauty to my home. The Lord certainly used those sluggish days but I sure enjoy the active ones a whole lot more. Second, for years I have prayed from psalms 71 and 92, that I would “still bring forth fruit in old age” and that I would have the opportunity to “show thy strength unto this generation and thy power to every one that is to come.” That implies a bit of work and I hunger for it. Third, I think that the word industrious sums up the role of a woman in the home (and workplace), whatever her age. Industrious rather than idle. Industrious with children and without. Industrious whether young or old. Now that I am older I find myself a bit slower physically and I can not possibly keep the pace that I did 20 years ago. Still, I want to stay active in my pursuit of the Lord, in my home and in any place that He sends me. Lord, just let me bring forth fruit in old age. Amen. ~ Inez Holger
No comments:
Post a Comment