Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays

Our family moved into this neighborhood nine years ago during a muggy week in October. We began by making smaller trips before bringing in the moving van and by Saturday we slowly trudged into the house feeling as wilted as we looked. As we headed to the car for one more load of boxes a young boy appeared in our driveway with a glass pitcher.
“Here,” he said, “my momma said to give this to you.”
He handed us the pitcher filled with iced water and ran off.
“Hey, who’s your mom?” I yelled.
“She’s busy right now” he hollered back.
Busy, but not too busy to give us cold water on a hot day.
She made quite an impression on me, revealing a practical way to show thoughtfulness before the opportunity passed by. No big expense, no large block of time, but considerate of the needs of others. This lovely woman had kindness on her mind.
I have often thought of her when new neighbors move in and I want to make a full meal but don’t have time. I think of her too when workers repair my home or when children huddle in the shade on a hot summer day. No matter what our schedules are like, a cup of cold water can go a long way. ~ Inez Holger

1 comment:

GraceFullMom said...

I can't tell you how many new neighbors have moved in & out and I have meant to make a meal or cookies and never did get around to it. It's so refreshing to remember that it is the act of kindness, not the grandness of the act, that makes an impression. Thanks for the encouragement!