Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Goals for the New Year

In yesterday’s post Dr. Whitney gives an excellent list of questions to ask ourselves as the New Year approaches. I know that in my self-sufficiency my temptation would be to try to work on his list all at once. I would most likely become overwhelmed. David Powlison helps to shed some light on the fact that sometimes it may be better to take on one thing at a time.
“We are simple people. You can’t remember ten things at once. Invariably, if you could remember just ONE true thing…you’d be different. Connect one bit of Scripture to one bit of life…. Apply one relevant thing from our Redeemer to one significant scene in your story. Bring one bit of the Bible to one bit of your life….You can’t deal with it all at once. Scripture never does…. Life goes one step at a time.”

By the time I’m done making my resolution list, I normally have about twenty “Must Do’s”! Instead of trying to juggle so many things and failing in all of them or just getting by, I’ve seen that focusing on just one thing is most effective for me. Most of the time growth in one area almost always affects every other area of our lives. So rather than worrying about the twenty ways we need to grow in godliness, we can be encouraged that as we isolate just one and devote ourselves to change in that area, by the grace of God it will affect the other nineteen.

The final thing I have learned through wise examples and teaching concerning resolutions, is to get specific. “Trust God more” may be too broad of a resolution, but if we can spend some time exploring when and how we are most tempted to not trust God, we can then better choose scriptures to memorize in helping battle that particular sin and pray and plan on how to respond humbly when those times do arise. Ask God help you carry the task you sense Him calling you to. Rely on Him for strength to be diligent and faithful. Depend on Him and watch as He works! ~ Lana Calabello

1 comment:

jnscrotsley said...

Lana,

Thanks for the pratical application for those of us (me!) who tend to lean a little more on the self sufficient side:)!

Shawna