It is so much fun to give and receive presents at Christmastime. Half the fun is finding something on sale that you know a special person would love to have. It almost feels like you're multiplying your money! But there are certain presents that don't go on sale. Although I have received many wonderful gifts over the years I think the most meaningful gift came from my husband two years ago. Several years ago I noticed a watercolor illustration in a children's book and it inspired me to want to learn to paint. I would check out children's books from the library by the armload and try to copy the work of other artists I admired. I was making a little headway but still stumbling along. Along came Christmas of 2006. That morning I opened a portable artist's easel and an envelope from the Cummer Art Museum. At first I thought it must be a year's membership so I could go to the museum to be inspired by the wonderful paintings they have there. But nothing could have surprised me more than when I discovered that Ed had enrolled me in a 6 week long drawing class. He had paid full price for this which made it even more precious. He had done his homework by talking to Kyle Keith, an art teacher at UNF, and taking his advice. Kyle had shared with him that before I could be comfortable painting I needed to learn the fundamentals of drawing. I was overwhelmed with such joy when I received this gift because my husband had taken such care to be aware of my desires and wanted to encourage me in an area that brought me such delight. Rather than treating my desire to paint as a frivolous hobby he let me know that he considered it to be a creative outlet worth pursuing. The drawing classes gave me the confidence and training I needed to begin to draw and paint the animal illustrations for a music curriculum I am working on. I have always enjoyed doing creative things like knitting, embroidery, sewing, crocheting, etc. But none of these compares to the joy I have when I am bringing to life on paper the images that live in my mind. My animal friends have been living in my imagination and waiting to be born. Thanks to my dear husband musical skunks and mice and snails and a whole host of others are now gracing the pages of my music stories and hopefully will encourage many children to want to learn more about the gift of music. I am so thankful for my Godly, caring husband who is paying attention even when I think he's not interested in my little concerns. This gift encouraged me more than he will ever be able to understand. And I know that all good gifts come from our heavenly Father which makes it even more special! The Lord does give us the desires of our heart and is such a tender and compassionate God. Such thoughtful, loving care makes me feel very humble and so very grateful! Brenda Edwards
Monday, December 8, 2008
Favorite Christmas Gift
It is so much fun to give and receive presents at Christmastime. Half the fun is finding something on sale that you know a special person would love to have. It almost feels like you're multiplying your money! But there are certain presents that don't go on sale. Although I have received many wonderful gifts over the years I think the most meaningful gift came from my husband two years ago. Several years ago I noticed a watercolor illustration in a children's book and it inspired me to want to learn to paint. I would check out children's books from the library by the armload and try to copy the work of other artists I admired. I was making a little headway but still stumbling along. Along came Christmas of 2006. That morning I opened a portable artist's easel and an envelope from the Cummer Art Museum. At first I thought it must be a year's membership so I could go to the museum to be inspired by the wonderful paintings they have there. But nothing could have surprised me more than when I discovered that Ed had enrolled me in a 6 week long drawing class. He had paid full price for this which made it even more precious. He had done his homework by talking to Kyle Keith, an art teacher at UNF, and taking his advice. Kyle had shared with him that before I could be comfortable painting I needed to learn the fundamentals of drawing. I was overwhelmed with such joy when I received this gift because my husband had taken such care to be aware of my desires and wanted to encourage me in an area that brought me such delight. Rather than treating my desire to paint as a frivolous hobby he let me know that he considered it to be a creative outlet worth pursuing. The drawing classes gave me the confidence and training I needed to begin to draw and paint the animal illustrations for a music curriculum I am working on. I have always enjoyed doing creative things like knitting, embroidery, sewing, crocheting, etc. But none of these compares to the joy I have when I am bringing to life on paper the images that live in my mind. My animal friends have been living in my imagination and waiting to be born. Thanks to my dear husband musical skunks and mice and snails and a whole host of others are now gracing the pages of my music stories and hopefully will encourage many children to want to learn more about the gift of music. I am so thankful for my Godly, caring husband who is paying attention even when I think he's not interested in my little concerns. This gift encouraged me more than he will ever be able to understand. And I know that all good gifts come from our heavenly Father which makes it even more special! The Lord does give us the desires of our heart and is such a tender and compassionate God. Such thoughtful, loving care makes me feel very humble and so very grateful! Brenda Edwards
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How sweet!!! :) What a thoughtful hubby.
Post a Comment