When I think of Christmas I think of family. Traditions passed down from one generation to another. A time when memories are made, old traditions carried out, and new traditions created.One of those traditions has been to gather in the kitchen with family, all the gals to make our favorite Christmas delights. It has been said that you might not remember what you had for dinner, but you will always remember what you had for dessert. Though I don’t necessarily agree with that, my family would most certainly.
This Christmas will be somewhat different than years past. Both my grandmother and mom have since passed away and Brittany will be spending Christmas in El Paso, however the memories remain and the tradition lives on. So in honor of my grandmother who is no longer with us but who is in the presence of her Savior I would like to share with you her most prized dessert of the Christmas season.
~ Rhonda Calabello
Red Velvet Cake
2 ½ cups flour 1 ½ cups sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa 1 ounce red food color
1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Crisco 1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs 1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.
Sift flour, cocoa, salt three times. In a separate bowl cream (beat) Crisco, add sugar, eggs mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk; add red food coloring and vanilla mix well. Fold in baking soda dissolved in vinegar and beat well. Pour mixture evenly into the two 9-inch round pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Frosting:
1-8 ounce cream cheese (room temperature)
1½ stick soft butter
1 box powered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat (soft) cream cheese and butter until creamy, add powered sugar and vanilla. Beat until consistency is smooth and creamy.
2 comments:
Rhonda,
This sounds yummy!I think we'll give it a shot this year.
I'll be praying for you during this "different" Christmas season. I remember from the other side of the relationship, my first Christmas away from my family. I loved my husband and wanted to be with him, but it nearly killed me to be away from "home!" So, that said, I'll be praying for Brittany as well.
Janette
Didn't they make an armadillo groom's cake out of a red velvet cake and gray icing in Steel Magnolias?
I can't seem to get the meat cleaver cutting the cake out of my mind!
Kellett
Post a Comment