Thirteen years ago, during my second pregnancy, I was put on bed rest with pre-term labor. There was not much to do but stare at the dusty ceiling fan and wait. I found it hard to be thankful even though I knew this was best for our unborn baby. I felt stranded, I felt isolated, I felt unproductive and helpless to change the situation.
In God’s kindness He sent a new friend who had gone through the same thing a few years earlier. She gently pointed me to 2 Corinthians 1:3-6 which says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer.”
What an encouragement for me! I’m thankful God met me. I was hopeful God would use this situation to strengthen others. It wasn’t just about me; it never was.
As the years have passed, God’s brought many moms in a similar situation across my path needing the same encouragement I needed. I’m thankful He used a trial I did not want to bear fruit first in me, and then in others. ~ Adrea Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment