Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Being Thankful With Our Families

Grandparents hold a special place in my heart. When my husband and I first began dating almost twenty five years ago, I took him to meet my grandparents soon after he met my parents. They were an integral part of who I was. While both sets of grandparents were believers, my mother’s mother had patiently modeled and shared the gospel with me as a child and led me to Christ. Through the years she had been a source of encouragement to me as I learned what it meant to follow Jesus. She was a faithful pray-er, and she lovingly challenged me to pursue the things of God. As I left for college, she reminded me of the importance of quickly finding a church home as well as a Biblically sound college ministry. I treasure a photograph from my wedding of my two dear grandmothers standing with me in the church. And I had the holy joy of being with my grandmother when she quietly slipped from this earth into the arms of her Savior.

God has carefully placed individuals along life’s path for each of us. Sometimes it is a family member, and sometimes it is a friend or co-worker. Looking back, you can see people who have planted seeds of faith in your life and friends who have watered them. The timing of these divinely appointed friendships is not coincidental. Even in the midst of sin God’s purposes have been carried out. Even relationships that we would not characterize as “positive” can be used by our sovereign God to sanctify us. An irritating neighbor can be used by God to expose sinful pride and self-righteousness. A demanding child can show us our laziness and love for ease. We can be thankful to God for using others as instruments in His holy hands to point us to Him.

As we enter the season when we celebrate Thanksgiving, look with eyes of faith at those around you. You will certainly see the hand of God. ~ Adrea Thomas

No comments: