Being a woman who submits to her husband is a rare oddity. We live in a world where women want to be treated like men and have fought for those rights for decades. It’s not uncommon for women to speak poorly of their husbands. Even in Christian circles women can talk negatively about certain traits their husbands may have and tear them down in front of others. But when you do hear or see a godly woman who esteems her husband and praises him you take notice.
Submitting to my husband isn’t just an outward expression of obedience. It’s something that is deep within my heart that wants to please God and in doing so shows respect and honor to my husband. It’s trusting in my husband’s leadership, guidance, and protection. I have learned what areas are mine to rule, that I am my husband’s helper, and when I trust in his leadership it’s for my protection.
I am a strong woman and it has taken many years of the Lord working in my heart to show me why biblical submission in my marriage is so important. God has shown me when I step outside my biblical role as a wife and try to rule our household without my husband’s guidance that I am sinning. Too many times I have made poor decisions that weren’t mine to make and we have suffered the consequences because of that. My husband’s headship over me is there for a purpose…to guide me and lead me.
~ Sharlyn Eddy
“In the home when a husband leads like Christ and a wife responds like the bride of Christ, there is a harmony and mutuality that is more beautiful and more satisfying than any pattern of marriage created by man. Biblical headship for the husband is the divine calling to take primary responsibility for Christlike, servant-leadership, protection and provision in the home. Biblical submission for the wife is the divine calling to honor and affirm her husband’s leadership and help carry it through according to her gifts.30 This is the way of joy. For God loves his people and he loves his glory. And therefore when we follow his idea of marriage (sketched in texts like Genesis 2:18-24; Proverbs 5:15-19; 31:10-31; Mark 10:2-12; Ephesians 5:21-33; Colossians 3:18-19; and 1 Peter 3:1-7) we are most satisfied and he is most glorified.” John Piper
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment