My mom was and still is a great example to me of how she daily walks out loving her children. She has never pretended that she’s perfect, but is quick to humbly admit when she is wrong or unsure about something. I have seen the way she constantly makes sacrifices for us, but she never seems to mind because she desires our good above her own. Yes, there were rules and discipline growing up, but there were fun and creative adventures, tender moments and lasting memories.So, what would this look like for a single woman? Well, investing in the lives of the children around us is one of the most worthwhile endeavors we can practice in our single years. And while babysitting and playing with children is fun, there is something deeper at the root of it all. We have the opportunity to have an eternal impact on their souls. We could just watch these children and keep them from harm, or we could thoughtfully seek to get to know them, surprise and delight them, invest in them, befriend them, make memories with them, share the Gospel with them, and disciple them.
So, what are some practical things single women can do to practice and cultivate loving children?
- Volunteer to babysit for friends
Through babysitting I’ve seen some of my worst sin exposed. A lot of weakness, sin and pride come out when you’re faced with the task of caring for children. But you also experience the joys of loving, nurturing and delighting in them.
Through babysitting I’ve seen some of my worst sin exposed. A lot of weakness, sin and pride come out when you’re faced with the task of caring for children. But you also experience the joys of loving, nurturing and delighting in them.
- Teach or help in your church’s children’s ministry program
Teaching the word of God to young ones is truly a privilege and it’s a great way to learn how to share the Gospel with kids in a way that they understand. Most importantly, you are sowing eternity into their hearts.
- Plan a serious and fun time with younger girls you know
Growing up, there was often an older single girl around who reached out to me and the others girls. It’s wonderful to be able to be an example and a friend to younger girls who may be in your life. Maybe God would have you reach out to all of them or possibly just one. As you seek to love them, God can do powerful things through you.
Growing up, there was often an older single girl around who reached out to me and the others girls. It’s wonderful to be able to be an example and a friend to younger girls who may be in your life. Maybe God would have you reach out to all of them or possibly just one. As you seek to love them, God can do powerful things through you.
- Ask a mom you know with young children if you can help her for the day or a few hours to learn from her example
I love hearing or observing the different mom’s I know and how they do things. God has gifted each one of them uniquely and it’s such a joy to watch them with their children.
I have been richly blessed to have so many godly women in my life who exemplify loving their children. I am hoping to follow their examples and one day, Lord willing, be able to put into practice all that I’ve learned as I seek to love my own children.
I love hearing or observing the different mom’s I know and how they do things. God has gifted each one of them uniquely and it’s such a joy to watch them with their children.
I have been richly blessed to have so many godly women in my life who exemplify loving their children. I am hoping to follow their examples and one day, Lord willing, be able to put into practice all that I’ve learned as I seek to love my own children.
~ Lana Calabello
1 comment:
I love it! And I whole-heartedly agree!
Historically single ladies, as well as some married ladies, have poured into Brianna's life, and I see so much fruit from it! She still has relationships with those special friends in Atlanta and Orlando...And now here in Jax she has Mrs. Crotsley who always "sees" her and WILL engage her...and Candace and Amber who are godly examples - wise AND fun, modest AND pretty/stylish...ladies she desires to be like when she grows up...And lately she is MOST EXCITED that Halaina is organizing "the thing". lol For those of you who don't know, best I can understand from Brianna, there will be a big sister/little sister "thing" with the senior high and junior high girls. Brianna CAN NOT WAIT! She is SO excited!
Great job ladies! =D
Post a Comment