Friday, February 6, 2009

Loving Your Children

It has been said that the Lord places children in our lives not only to bring laughter, joy and blessings (which they do) but also for our sanctification. So many moms have shared that they never had issues with anger before having a preschooler! Praise our God that He does not leave us to flounder!

"Know this, my beloved [sisters]: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of [Mom] does not produce the righteousness that God requires... receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." James 1:19-22

Long ago, I memorized the first verse in this passage. And the Lord has used it in my life- His Word truly does not return empty! But today, the next few verses came alive for me. When I get angry with the children, I don't calm down just by chanting some verse. "Allie, listen. Be slow to speak and don't get angry!" No, God's Word, planted in my heart, is able to save my soul!

I am so excited about this! This is why we, as a church family, memorize passages of scripture with the children each month. We store up God's Word in our hearts so that we won't sin against him (Psalm 119:11).

As mammas, we love our children in so many ways. Kissing boo-boos and tucking them in (even two or three times in the winter!) are special ways to share love. But the most important way we love children is sharing our love for our Savior and His Word! ~ Allie O.

1 comment:

Ruth Ann said...

I don't calm down just by quoting some verse...

Thank you Allie! I know I'm not a mother, but...you know. :) It applies to all of us.