Thursday, February 5, 2009

Loving Your Children

In looking back on the message that Adrea shared last April on this subject, it has served my heart well to be reminded of what it is to love my children. In this day and age we have different TV personalities telling us how to raise our children and what loving them is all about. The shows on TV depict a life of luxury that our children are sucked into and not to mention that every commercial is focused on selling our kids something that they just “have to have”.
So I thought I would take the time to focus on the three points Adrea shared.

1 – Love them as God’s gift
Psalm 16:5-6 Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 127:3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Knowing that my children are a reward from God is such an awesome thing to think about. He thinks I am worthy and has entrusted me with a great gift and a great responsibility. He is counting on me to teach them the way they should go (Proverbs 22:6).

2 – Love them for the joy they give you
Oh, there is nothing like hearing the laughter of a baby. That joy wells up inside of me and at times would bring tears to my eyes. I love seeing my children full of joy! And better yet they love seeing their mother full of joy. So much of the time I can be critical and focus only on their faults. It’s easy for me to show them where they are sinning and yet I am being self righteous in the process. I am often humbled by my children. Joy comes in pointing out evidences of God’s grace in their lives.

3 – Love them with eyes of faith—for what they shall be
2 Cor 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
“Unbelief is always anchored to the present, while faith looks to that which is unseen” – Douglas Wilson
Something Adrea said was that our children must know that we have faith in them and for them. This means, to me, not limiting what they are capable of. Letting them dream…and dream BIG! I need to be excited with them when they come to me with an idea and not crushing their hopes and dreams. I also need to trust God with their futures and pray every day that they would have a clear understanding of the direction and calling that the Lord has on their lives.

Loving your children is more than just outward affection. It’s praying for them and with them, crying with them, playing with them, disciplining them, and rejoicing with them. I love having those tender moments. I am sure when my children are grown I would rather them remember the tender moments than all of the other times that I have yelled and been unreasonable. May you all have more tender moments with the children in your lives. ~ Sharlyn Eddy

No comments: