An interview with Allyson Broka by Lana Calabello
When I was first asked if I would be willing to participate in interviewing the women of GCC I went to my mom to inquire about interviewing her. Her response to my question did not surprise me as she humbly declined and said she thought I should use this as an opportunity to choose another woman that we could glean from. After thinking and praying about it, I went to her a few days later with the woman I felt the Lord had impressed upon my heart. The Lord was kind to confirm my choice with my mom affirming that she had the same person in mind.
Allyson Broka was one of the first women I met upon moving to Jacksonville and I was so very blessed and encouraged by her gentle and loving spirit. It was clear that her foremost desire was to honor God and serve her family. Her humility was also evident in the way she actively sought the counsel of others and pursued accountability in her life. She is always quick to confess her sin and quick to encourage others. Though daily struggles bombard her, she finds her peace and comfort at the feet of her Heavenly Father. As you read Allyson’s response to each question I am sure you will agree with me that God’s work of grace is evident in her life. – Lana Calabello
How did the Lord sustain you when going through a trial and what did you learn from it?
There is no question that it is His grace that sustains me! I also am grateful that He has always been faithful to give me a verse to hold onto while walking out difficult circumstances. Beyond that, I have always been very comforted by being surrounded by people who love me dearly. When a crisis has happened in my life I have called my family and most treasured friends and have found the sweetest comfort. Through my trials I have learned two things. First, I have learned that sometimes there were things in my heart that I didn’t know were there. Then, when the pressure was applied, God graciously showed me all kinds of things that needed His tender pruning! How kind He is to use trials to bring out what is really inside of me and then aid me in dealing with those issues. Secondly, I have learned that God is so faithful. I am a person who constantly struggles with trusting and feeling abandoned. So for me to look back and see how God has lovingly cared for me in the hard places gives me tremendous faith and hope for the future.
How would you encourage moms during the busy seasons of life?
I guess I would tell them what I tell myself….that seasons pass quickly and I don’t want to wish this busy part of my life away, but rather embrace everything the season has to offer. I also look at pictures of my kids a lot. It gives me perspective as I can see how much they have changed and how time truly does fly.
Are there times as a young mother that you feel ‘stuck’ at home and how did God change your heart and give you a love for Homemaking?
I don’t normally feel ‘stuck’ at home because I actually love being home and taking care of my home. It’s the homemaking and being a mother together that cause me to feel drained and depleted in my role. One of the things that has really helped me is to fellowship with other women who love being homemakers and that have qualities I want to emulate. I can do this by talking on the phone, e-mail, or being with them in person. Sometimes just being around someone who I admire can really inspire me and give me the encouragement I need.
What does a quiet time with the Lord look like for you during this busy time of life?
My quiet times have evolved and are always evolving! Consistency is not one of my key qualities. Through the years of pregnancies, newborns, babies, and toddlers I have switched back and forth between rising early or before I go to bed at night. For a while, I was even incorporating all of my kids into my quiet time (and to some degree still do). We would worship then I would tell a bible story and then I would pray while they listened. Though at times it was hard to focus and give myself to God wholly. I actually look back at those times with great fondness.
What is an area of fear or anxiety that you struggle with and how has the Lord helped you overcome that particular fear or anxiety?
The sinful struggle of fear has dominated my life. I can’t really remember a time where I was not afraid of something. One ongoing example would be fear for my children. I can easily get consumed. One way the Lord is helping me to overcome my fear is by giving me situations to trust Him in. For an example, when we had a near death experience with our youngest son, I learned that God is in control and I am not. I learned to lean on Him during one of the scariest moments of my life. This one moment in time has proved invaluable to me. For when I am afraid I can look back and see how God cared for me through a situation that I had no control of. This has brought me great comfort.
What are some books that you have read that have encouraged you?
“The Enemy Within,” is an outstanding book. I have read it and re-read it and re-read it again! It was that good to me. “Running Scared – Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest,” is a great encouragement for me and it reads like a devotional. This will be one I will revisit as well. “Don’t Waste your Life,” is another book I highly recommend and has really encouraged me to be passionate about getting outside my ‘comfort zone’ and not wasting my life. Be prepared to be challenged if you read this one!
Allyson Broka was one of the first women I met upon moving to Jacksonville and I was so very blessed and encouraged by her gentle and loving spirit. It was clear that her foremost desire was to honor God and serve her family. Her humility was also evident in the way she actively sought the counsel of others and pursued accountability in her life. She is always quick to confess her sin and quick to encourage others. Though daily struggles bombard her, she finds her peace and comfort at the feet of her Heavenly Father. As you read Allyson’s response to each question I am sure you will agree with me that God’s work of grace is evident in her life. – Lana Calabello
How did the Lord sustain you when going through a trial and what did you learn from it?
There is no question that it is His grace that sustains me! I also am grateful that He has always been faithful to give me a verse to hold onto while walking out difficult circumstances. Beyond that, I have always been very comforted by being surrounded by people who love me dearly. When a crisis has happened in my life I have called my family and most treasured friends and have found the sweetest comfort. Through my trials I have learned two things. First, I have learned that sometimes there were things in my heart that I didn’t know were there. Then, when the pressure was applied, God graciously showed me all kinds of things that needed His tender pruning! How kind He is to use trials to bring out what is really inside of me and then aid me in dealing with those issues. Secondly, I have learned that God is so faithful. I am a person who constantly struggles with trusting and feeling abandoned. So for me to look back and see how God has lovingly cared for me in the hard places gives me tremendous faith and hope for the future.
How would you encourage moms during the busy seasons of life?
I guess I would tell them what I tell myself….that seasons pass quickly and I don’t want to wish this busy part of my life away, but rather embrace everything the season has to offer. I also look at pictures of my kids a lot. It gives me perspective as I can see how much they have changed and how time truly does fly.
Are there times as a young mother that you feel ‘stuck’ at home and how did God change your heart and give you a love for Homemaking?
I don’t normally feel ‘stuck’ at home because I actually love being home and taking care of my home. It’s the homemaking and being a mother together that cause me to feel drained and depleted in my role. One of the things that has really helped me is to fellowship with other women who love being homemakers and that have qualities I want to emulate. I can do this by talking on the phone, e-mail, or being with them in person. Sometimes just being around someone who I admire can really inspire me and give me the encouragement I need.
What does a quiet time with the Lord look like for you during this busy time of life?
My quiet times have evolved and are always evolving! Consistency is not one of my key qualities. Through the years of pregnancies, newborns, babies, and toddlers I have switched back and forth between rising early or before I go to bed at night. For a while, I was even incorporating all of my kids into my quiet time (and to some degree still do). We would worship then I would tell a bible story and then I would pray while they listened. Though at times it was hard to focus and give myself to God wholly. I actually look back at those times with great fondness.
What is an area of fear or anxiety that you struggle with and how has the Lord helped you overcome that particular fear or anxiety?
The sinful struggle of fear has dominated my life. I can’t really remember a time where I was not afraid of something. One ongoing example would be fear for my children. I can easily get consumed. One way the Lord is helping me to overcome my fear is by giving me situations to trust Him in. For an example, when we had a near death experience with our youngest son, I learned that God is in control and I am not. I learned to lean on Him during one of the scariest moments of my life. This one moment in time has proved invaluable to me. For when I am afraid I can look back and see how God cared for me through a situation that I had no control of. This has brought me great comfort.
What are some books that you have read that have encouraged you?
“The Enemy Within,” is an outstanding book. I have read it and re-read it and re-read it again! It was that good to me. “Running Scared – Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest,” is a great encouragement for me and it reads like a devotional. This will be one I will revisit as well. “Don’t Waste your Life,” is another book I highly recommend and has really encouraged me to be passionate about getting outside my ‘comfort zone’ and not wasting my life. Be prepared to be challenged if you read this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment