“You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.” -1 Corinthians 7:23Now that’s the kind of verse I like to read. Especially on Mondays when I’m particularly busy in our home. Don’t become a slave to men- that’d be Chris and the children. (Can I get away with this train of thought for even a moment? No, I know… not amongst my GCC sisters.) All joking aside, this verse reminds me that I am the Lord’s possession and that He is worthy of my total allegiance.
What does allegiance to God look like in the midst of keeping my home? Total allegiance to God seems abstract for me today. Allegiance while washing and folding laundry and tidying the house from the weekend and guiding the children in their morning duties and then teaching school… serving God in these areas doesn’t feel very overt. But consider this with me for a moment. Where are our hearts more on display than in our own homes? Is there another time when you find your desire to be loving, self-controlled, patient, kind, self-controlled, not irritable or sarcastic (did I mention self-controlled?) more tested than at home? I can’t think of one!! I can handle drivers turning without blinkers, slow lines at Publix, even Starbucks discontinuing decaf Frappucinos! But at home, I am often quick to expect my loved ones to give *ME their allegiance instead of focusing on all of us giving the Lord 100%.
When I grow irritated with Timothy for taking twenty minutes (True story! He’s really slow!) to put his dirty laundry away instead of lovingly training him, I am dishonoring the Lord.
The fam & I read some provoking thoughts in Tabletalk recently. “We must exercise that love that overlooks a multitude of ‘minor’ sins (1 Peter 4:8). As servants in the kingdom of God we must be ever conscious that He takes our treatment of His people seriously; thus, we must do good to them just as we would do good to Him.” They are referring to other believers in the church- but how much more should we put on this love towards our families!
Tabletalk continues, “That we are all servants of the same Lord and master forbids us from ever thinking that certain people or deeds are beneath us. It also means that whatever we do, we must do it unto the Lord with our very best.”
Allegiance to God for me today includes joyfully catching up on laundry. When Andrew spreads his neatly folded pile all over the floor, I must resist the temptation to think that picking it up and folding it again is beneath me. I’ve been bought with a price! My Lord and Saviour purchased me- not on my own merit- and I will try to extend a bit of this love to my family as we do our Monday chores together. Today, I’ll “strive always to serve the Lord in humility and with a true love for other believers...” starting with my family. ~ Allie Olsen
1 comment:
Allie, Thank you so much for your example and transparency! Though I’m not in a season of “managing” a home right now, I am in a season of serving my family in others ways. What you shared gave me a greater perspective of what my allegiance to God should look like while serving my family during this particular season I’m in. Thanks!
Post a Comment