
“Jesus is coming back soon. Look busy.” That bumper sticker caught my eye and made me laugh a few years ago. As if Jesus is some incompetent supervisor, easily fooled by frantic activity that looks productive on the outside.
How often do I appear busy to others, when I’m really just “spinning my wheels?” As women, we are called to be busy at home. Does this mean non-stop activity? Color-coded daily schedules? Filling up every moment with productive work?
The irony of our spiritual life is that to be fruitfully busy at anything, we need to first be quiet in our heart. Without quiet hearts, our days feel more like duty than delight...and joy is hard to find.
My boys know better. They can sense when my heart is frantic. I suspect to them it looks a lot like impatience, defensiveness and anger.
The gospel teaches that busyness before quietness is probably self-reliance. Self-reliance says I don’t need God. But, I do. Every moment – every day – I need Him. We all do. ~ Adrea Thomas
How often do I appear busy to others, when I’m really just “spinning my wheels?” As women, we are called to be busy at home. Does this mean non-stop activity? Color-coded daily schedules? Filling up every moment with productive work?
The irony of our spiritual life is that to be fruitfully busy at anything, we need to first be quiet in our heart. Without quiet hearts, our days feel more like duty than delight...and joy is hard to find.
My boys know better. They can sense when my heart is frantic. I suspect to them it looks a lot like impatience, defensiveness and anger.
The gospel teaches that busyness before quietness is probably self-reliance. Self-reliance says I don’t need God. But, I do. Every moment – every day – I need Him. We all do. ~ Adrea Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment