Friday, March 6, 2009

Being My Sister's Keeper - Part II

I would be the person who sincerely intends to lift others up in prayer... but then totally forgets! Two things are helping me overcome this awful habit.

One is writing the matter for prayer down. When I come across it in my devotional time- or if I wrote it on a scrap, it's when I'm cleaning out my purse- I remember to pray. Writing down requests has been my practice for a long time, but definitely has its flaws... like when I use the scrap of paper to throw away gum. Oops!

When I heard Elyse encouraging us to pray immediately, the lightbulb went off! Aha! I can be a means of grace for my hubby, children, friends, or even strangers by praying as soon as I hear of the need.

Often, I pray with the person. But when that is not possible, I do pray as soon as possible... when I hang up the phone, as I'm typing a reply email on the computer, or when I hop in my car after visiting with a friend. And when the Lord brings friends or situations to my mind later in the day or week, I can assume it is the Lord's will for me to be "a means of grace" to them. Again, I pray.

It isn't enough for me to shake my head saying to myself, "She must be having such a hard time this week, bless her heart!" I'm grateful for these teachings by Elyse and for Rhonda bringing them to us. I'm praying that the Lord will continually use them in our lives as a church body to develop Biblical relationships. And I'm praying right now!!!

No comments: