Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Loving Your Husband

Marriage is a journey. On this journey we can be assured as believers that the Lord is at work in our lives. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 3:18 "But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit." We have the distinct opportunity to actually see this transformation process take place over a number of years in our spouse. When I look at my husband's face I no longer merely see his physical features but because I know him so well I see a bit of his soul as I gaze at him. When we were in college one of my favorite verses was 1 Timothy 4:12: "Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe." Paul goes on to say: "Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress may be evident to all." We are no longer youths but because my husband gave attention to those things through the years his progress is very apparent to me. This is cause for great rejoicing and wonder as I praise God for the blessing of living with a man who takes pain with these things and is absorbed in them.

One of the best ways we can serve our husbands is to remind them of evidences of grace, how we can genuinely see progress in specific areas of their lives. We can now laugh about some things in the past and know that whatever current challenges we may be facing do not have to be as intimidating as they seem as we remember the faithfulness of God to carry us through. We: are being transformed. Try to remember that this is a process and the Lord is not on our timetable. His ways are not our ways. Be patient. Fret not. Be thankful for the smallest of evidences of this transforming grace and express your gratitude to both the Lord and your husband. Ladies, we are a very blessed group of women and have so much to be thankful for. I am provoked by my husband's example and pray that as the Lord renews my mind he can witness this transformation process in me as well. ~ Brenda Edwards

No comments: